Four public recreation areas with lakes (soon to be five) and one trail are maintained and operated by the Nemaha NRD. Rules and regulations to assure the safe and fair use of the areas have been set and approved by the NRD board of directors. A few rules that apply to most areas include prohibiting alcohol and weapons, no personal watercraft (“jet skis”) on any of the four lakes, and adherence to State fishing and boating regulations.
In 1996 the board enacted a park entry permit requirement at three of its parks: Kirkman’s Cove, Iron Horse Trail Lake, and Wirth Brothers Lake. Fees collected from these vehicle permits have helped provide various park improvements and enhancements such as new picnic shelters, concrete outhouses, boat docks, etc.
- Annual Permits (valid January 1-December 31): $12 ($10 if purchased January 1-April 1)
- Duplicate Annual Permit* (limit one per annual permit purchased): $6 (Must be for a vehicle licensed to the same person(s) as the annual permit)
- Temporary, 2-Day Permit: $5
- Group Permits: Must be requested in writing on NRD forms; rates vary depending on size/duration of event
- Gift Certificates: Contact the NRD office to purchase
Annual and temporary permits may be purchased at each park through envelopes available at iron collection boxes. Annual permits will be mailed within 14 days (use your temporary permit until you receive the annual permit sticker). Annual permits may also be purchased in person at the NRD office (M-F, 8-4:30), by mail (call or email for an application), or online.